Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toto's Africa

When I was in highschool in the early 80's, Toto became a favorite group for me after hearing it from a schoolmate whose two favorite groups were Toto and the Rolling Stones. While I never gained the same appreciation for the Stones, I could (and did) listen to Toto for hours and had purchased the cassette of Toto IV. I believe I may have worn it out. Any kind of piano music is a favorite for me.

So when I encountered this You Tube video of the acapella group, Perpetuum Jazzile, performing Africa, I was very impressed. Even if Toto were not a favorite, this version of the song is very compelling. I invite you to view it; here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw.

The fact that all instrumentals and percussions are done by people is what makes this so cool.  They snap their fingers and slap their legs to sound like rain, and jump on the risers upon which they stand to mimic thunder... Also they really look like they are having fun, their smiles are awesome - seeing and listening to this makes me happy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment