Monday, February 14, 2011

Decluttering... It's a Mind Thing

I think our house is in pretty good shape. Yes, we constantly have "stuff" to pick up, but we get to it regularly and doesn't look too bad. My problem is the hidden clutter, the things that get stuffed into a drawer, or closet, or attic, just to get them out of sight.

When I first heard about Feng Shui some years ago, I was completely intrigued. And to find out more, I did what I usually do: go to the library and find some books to read up on the topic. Although the internet makes research a lot quicker, there's something about holding a book to read that a computer doesn't quite match.

A common theme in the Feng Shui literature is to get rid of clutter. They say it is impossible for the good energy to flow freely when you have a bunch of stuff in the way. (Now I don't really want to get into a philosophical discussion about the plausibility of the topic - energy exists. Deal with it. Also, I think most people can agree that having a bunch of junk laying about does not make for a very positive atmosphere.) Anyway... although I could agree with the concept, I had no idea how to actually get rid of anything that wasn't obviously destined for the garbage. Now I was brought up to save anything that had any "good" left to it. It was acceptable and even encouraged to give things to anyone in need, but my oh my. If we ever tossed something that could in any way be useful later on, it was a great lesson that it should have been saved. This, of course, established a pretty deep belief system.
 
Then I happened upon the book, "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. Oh wow. It gives practical tips on how to let go of stuff, beginning with presenting the perspective of why people have such a tough time. It gives ideas such as, none of us REALLY own anything - we won't have it when we're gone, therefore we are simply the temporary custodian of our things and should freely give other people a turn with them. What?? Also, we need to have faith that the universe will provide when we're in need of that item in the future (feel free to insert "God" here). And, if you later find yourself thinking you could use the item you got rid of, be sure to trust that the "you" that made the decision to declutter it had a very good reason for doing so and move on.

How empowering! I had read lots of books on getting organized, yadda, yadda, and for the first time, actually felt compelled to get up off my backside and Do Something! Usually I'm quite happy to just sit around and read about stuff rather than actually doing them...

Between this and following Flylady (http://www.flylady.net/), I've decluttered a LOT of stuff over the last ten years. So why am I having a problem? I think it's because I've been through the easy stuff. Now I'm left with the hidden things, items that have more complicated history. Also because I keep buying things... like I suppose all Americans do.

A co-worker recently commented that she saw something about a fellow who is committed to owning only one hundred items and challenges others to do the same. I was appalled. "So do dishes count as one item for the set? Or do you have to count each piece?" I asked. She replied, "ONLY ONE HUNDRED THINGS!" (I have googled it and believe this is what she was referring to: http://guynameddave.com/about-the-100-thing-challenge/)

Oh.

So I look around. I haven't actually counted up my items of clothing and shoes, but I bet there are at least 50 things there. I easily have at least 50 books (which are constantly sorted through for donations to the library). Let's see... maybe all my fabric can count as one item... this is rather sad as I don't even enjoy quilting anymore, but I do have several projects still in process and I keep HOPING I'll want to get back to them... I bet I have close to 50 things related to knitting now. And I haven't even checked the kitchen cupboards. I'm a little afraid to...

Ye gods. This is not good. I guess I need to actually go read this man's blog for inspiration.

One thing I did decide to start doing a month or so back, was to use things up. I started looking in my pantry and freezer at food that's been there a while and challenged myself to either toss it, or look for ways to use it up. Came up with some pretty good soup a couple of times that way. Also looked in the bathroom cupboards and drawers and tossed a good number of things I didn't want to use, and started using up others. Have finished up a few little odd bottles of lotion and this bottle of Mary Kay face lotion that I had quit using about a year ago when I found out about using coconut oil on my face, and all over actually. Yes, the stuff you cook with. It's absolutely fabulous on your skin! The only thing is it doesn't provide sunscreen. But other than that (winter time especially) it makes my skin feel so soft and tighter somehow. It's weird. I did however use up the bottle of Mary Kay and just this week begin to use the coconut oil again. My face is happy! I'm also using up this mango body butter on the rest of me daily to get it used up where as when it's gone I'll go back to using coconut oil on legs and arms and such. Well, after I use up more lotions I have. Oh my. Why do we save stuff for "good"? And then suffer when it's gone bad?

Baby steps. That's all I can say... baby steps. It does make me more mindful about not bringing more crap home though, that's for sure.

When I think of my ideal existence - simplify - have few things, but love what you have - it's at odds with my current reality. That's going to be my mission now I think. "Do I need this? Do I love it? Do I use it?"

It's humorous actually, because since I secretly believed I should have had the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder as a girl, to think about the cabins and small houses they had... and Ma still knit and sewed for the whole family. Why do I need SO MUCH STUFF?? Since I would like to live in a cabin or cottage one day I should cultivate the sense of this right now. At the very least, it is conducive to feeling peace. I could use some of that at times.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment