Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Okay, another washcloth.

Okay, another washcloth. This one's for Kathy who is meeting me for lunch tomorrow and I haven't seen her since prior to Christmas so this seemed like a good thing to do. I'm not too worried about her seeing it ahead of time as she's not a reader, therefore she won't read my blog. Even though I've told her how cool it is and for sure I thought I'd hook her when I told her I wrote about her pink tools in an earlier entry (the one about compost). But even that didn't pique her interest. I'm afraid there's not much hope for her.

After listening to Kelley Petkun on the Knit Picks podcasts say that she has very few hand-knit scarves even though she's an avid knitter and lives in Vancouver, WA so clearly she has need of keeping her neck warm this time of year. She says it's sort of embarrasing to have to admit to knitting a scarf  while knitting in public when she does so many more complicated things.

All I can say is, "Kelley, try knitting a washcloth in public and see what kind of reaction you get!"

One day I was sitting in the waiting area of Tehama Tire, waiting for my car tires to be rotated and I cast on for a washcloth. I'm not sure now what made the pattern so tricky exactly, but I found myself pulling it all out and starting again... a couple of times. Eventually the young man behind the counter asked, "What are you making?" The look on his face when I answered, "a washcloth!" was a mixture of horror and looking faintly impressed.  He countered with, "I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone work so hard for a washcloth before..."  Uh, me either.  :)

Anyway, here's a picture from earlier this evening:


Yep, the skein burped out a whole wodge of yarn when I gave it a tug...
I'm using Knit Pics nickle-plated circulars that are interchangable - I love them!

Here's the final product wrapped around a bar of lavendar scented soap:


Hmmm... there's still some evening left. I think I'll cast on for Caitlin's earflapper hat.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh you are already paying it forward aren't you....I think the wash cloth knitting has been fun for sure...was thinking about knitting two...maybe even doing some stranding then stitching them together...I mean it would be one heck of a wash cloth, but would we way fun....also was thinking about blending super wash wool with regular wool...spinning it up, knitting it and then it should felt, but not BIG time felting...wondering if that would be a good scrubby wash cloth!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I've been considering knitting two layers together - it might make a good potholder. Have you tried double-knitting? I've been reading about it and want to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete