Sunday, January 2, 2011

Biscuits!

So I made biscuits for dinner tonight to go with our soup.  I hadn't picked up any rolls or flatbread, and rather than run down to the store, I looked for a recipe. Sheesh, less than 5 minutes to get the batter ready and about 11 minutes in the oven: it would have taken longer to get to the market and back!


Okay, so they turned out a bit flat - probably because I don't have double-acting baking powder. Also I used whole wheat pastry flour, which is the only type I tend to keep on hand. But hey, with some butter slathered on, they were a hit! 

So here's the recipe for Quick Drop Biscuits...

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Sift the following into a bowl:
   2 cups flour
   3 teaspoons double acting baking powder
   1 teaspoon salt

Pour the following over the top:
   1/3 cup vegetable oil
   2/3 cup milk

Stir together until the mixture easily leaves the sides of the bowl. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 - 12 minutes.

I may have to try one of the leftovers with apple butter in the morning, mmmm.....

1 comment:

  1. I am ALLLLLL about the Apple Butter...on everything please....how can you go wrong with Apple Butter???

    ReplyDelete