Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Sobering Glimpse at a Really Nice House

Yesterday when Rich and I were out-and-about, we drove by a house that had a sign out by the road: Estate Sale. It was one of those newer, huge houses that were common for new construction right before the real estate bubble burst a couple of years ago. Since I'm always up for snooping around someone else's house, we decided to stop in.

It was a beautiful home with a couple of acres of land. There was a winding driveway with those rock-covered pillars on either side out by the road and a rock fountain in the landscaping (non-functioning at this time). The house looked like it might have been about 5000 square feet. It's style was modern with Craftsman-like detailing such as what has been popular in the building styles the past few years - at least in the Pacific Northwest.


But, when we went inside, it was difficult to appreciate the house itself. There were a few pieces of furniture, but mostly boxes of what appeared to be junk, and collections of stuff just piled around on the floors. Clothes, yucky shoes, dishes, toys, videos, and Christmas decorations, to name some. The smell of cigarette smoke permeated a few of the rooms.

Okay, I realize that when a home has been lived in, it will not remain as when it was new. But, I had a couple of thoughts...

First, just because someone has money doesn't mean they have class. Which on the flip side goes to show that one doesn't need money to be classy. Mind you, it certainly doesn't hurt, but it's not the whole picture. And clutter, no matter what one's income level, just isn't classy.

My second thought is longer:
The scene had the appearance of a family who had moved from a smaller space to this larger one and then acquired "stuff" to fill the space. For example, there was a walk-in closet off the family room, lined with shelves with movies and games still there. My guess is the house had been foreclosed on, and the family moved to a much smaller space, having left behind all this miscellanea. For someone else to deal with. Hence the estate sale.

The feeling inside the house was not a happy one, but rather one that felt quite oppressive. It seemed like the inhabitants were looking for happiness by accumulating objects, and that the resulting environment was not the one they had been going for. Nor did it appear they were good stewards of the blessings they had received.

I realize that it was their home to do with what they wanted, and who am I to be judgemental about that... however, I can't help but feel a bit of sadness about this scenario. There are people all over the world who feel overwhelmed by the task of creating and maintaining a positive atmosphere in their homes that blesses the occupants and their visitors. (I know this because I've read Flylady's testimonials from people all around the world. See www.flylady.net.)

This has given me food for thought. I want to re-think my possessions and just go ahead and get rid of the items (clutter? junk?) I don't need. I really would be appalled if anyone had to go through my closets one day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment