Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Another Way to Make Coleslaw

I have never been a fan of coleslaw. I think it's the creamy dressing that gets to me. I recall as a child not liking dressing at all - and of course salad without dressing is rather bland so as I remember it, salads were somethingt to get through at the very beginning and then get on to the "good" parts of a meal.

And I don't mind cabbage itself - it's lovely sauteed in a bit of olive oil with a touch of salt. It's always my preference at Mucho Gusto over lettuce - beginning with the time I was taking half my burrito back to the office with me for lunch the following day and I anticipated the cabbage would not get soggy when reheated as would lettuce. I was right about that and although I hardly ever save half a burrito for the next day, I still enjoy cabbage in it.

This dressing over cabbage is way yummy! It also goes really well with Mexican food because of the cumin I dare say...

(Maybe it would be better to call it Mexican Cabbage Salad)

Cabbage Salad:
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves pressed garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin


Mix together and mix with chopped or shredded cabbage.


I had the leftovers from last night for lunch today - added in a handful of chickpeas... yum! OH! This would be fab over any manner of raw vegies. Hmmm, I'm going to have to try that, especially when the garden tomatoes arrive!

2 comments:

  1. how much cabbage for the recipe? adding the garbanzo beans sounds so good...I will need to make this! take care, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori! That is a great question! I'm going to say about 1/2 a large head or a whole small head of cabbage. Generally what I end up doing since we have a small family, is to mix up the dressing, chop up the amount of cabbage we'll use, and add enough dressing to coat. Then I refrigerate the rest and use it later.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete