Sunday, March 14, 2010

Raw Candy

At last month's Wineaux Night (where a group of friends get together to try new wines and of course, food) I made "faux" fudge. Since I'm off sugar (with the exception of a bit of dark chocolate now and again... Okay, maybe daily. But honestly, who's checking?), I wanted to be sure there was something yummy I could nibble on without giving in to the temptation of all kinds of good tasting treats. Several people wanted the recipe so here is a rough rendition - since I sort of made it up after basing it on a couple of recipes I have, I'm not totally sure of the measurements.

Raw Candy

1 cup almonds or walnuts
1 cup dates

Process in food processor until crumbly. You want it to stick together so add a drizzle of either orange juice, maple syrup, or agave nectar or something similar. Process again. Pinch a little bit in your fingers to see if it holds.

To give it a chocolatey flavor, add a tablespoon of carob or cocoa. Blend and see if it tastes good. Adjust with a little more if necessary.

I added some chopped dried cranberries for a surprise taste - I think about 1/4 cup or so. Blend only enough to get it mixed in; you don't want to over-process or you lose the little bursts of flavor. I think dried cherries would be brilliant in this mix too, so I may try that instead of the cranberries next time.

Oh! I believe I added some unsweetened coconut flakes as well, up there with the nuts and dates. I would try about 1/2 cup to start with.

When it's the way you want it, press into a little pan (mine was about 7"x10" or so) and chill. It should be about 3/4" thick or so. Then cut them into small squares.

How's that for a recipe? If anyone would like more precise measurements, please leave a comment and I'll keep track next time I make it and update here.

Although this is not a low-calorie snack, it is made of REAL FOOD and our bodies know what to do with it.

Enjoy and if you try it, add a comment and let me know how it worked out for you!

4/26/10 Update:

Here is my most recent go:

1 cup pecans (may use any kind of nuts)
1 cup dates (may use raisins)
1/2 cup coconut
1 Tbs carob or cocoa (optional)
1 Tbs cinnamon (optional)
1-2 Tbs maple syrup or orange juice (depends how sweet you want it)
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped finely (or any other dried fruit, or just skip)


Process nuts, dates, coconut, and carob and cinnamon if using in food processor until the bits are finely chopped and crumbly. Add a tablespoon of maple syrup or orange juice and pinch a bit in your fingers to see if it holds together well. If not, add another tablespoon and mix again. Add the candied ginger and mix just enough to get it co-mingled. Put into a flat container about 7 x 10 and smooth it down with a rubber spatula. Chill, then cut into 1 inch squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment